Other Types of Thermal Oxidizers:
What is a thermal oxidizer?
A thermal oxidizer is a type of air pollution control equipment used in industrial processes to reduce emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), harmful air pollutants (HAPs), and other greenhouse gases (GHG). Using extreme high temperatures (1500°F) to trigger a combustion reaction, the VOCs & air pollutants undergo thermal oxidization, transforming the organic solvents into CO2 and H2O.
Similar to an incinerator, a thermal oxidizer is an EPA-approved device to treat VOCs, HAPs, contaminated gases, and aerosolized solvents.
Thermal Oxidizers (TOs) are available in a few different varieties:
- Direct-fired Thermal Oxidizer (DFTO): The simplest type of thermal oxidizer, it's just a burner in a box with a fan. The direct-fired TO does not have any heat recovery system. This is the least expensive type of equipment, but has the highest energy costs.
- Thermal Recuperative Oxidizer (TRO): The recuperative type features an air-to-air heat exchanger (HEX), and uses the waste heat to pre-heat the incoming air to the burner. The TRO offers 60-70% thermal efficiency. It's more expensive than the DFTO, but offers lower energy costs.
- Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer (RTO): The most common type of thermal oxidizer, the RTO uses ceramic media to capture and recycle waste heat, offering 95% thermal efficiency. The RTO is the most expensive thermal oxidizer, but offers the lowest energy costs.
- Gas Flare (Vapor Combustor): While not technically a type of thermal oxidizer, the flare is similar to the direct-fired thermal oxidizer but it does not require supplemental natural gas. Flares are used on very high concentration VOC gas streams (over 3-5% of LEL).
- Catalytic Thermal Oxidizer (CATOX): This type uses a metal catalyst to speed along the VOC's decomposition reaction. The main advantage of catalytic thermal oxidizers is that they can operate at much lower temperatures of 800°F-900°F instead of 1400°F-1500°F.
- Regenerative Catalytic Thermal Oxidizer (RCO): Similar to the catalytic oxidizer above, the RCO adds the same ceramic media from the RTO for waste heat recovery. The RCO is the most expensive type of oxidizer, but it offers by far the lowest operating costs.
Thermal Oxidizer effectiveness on:
*A Rotary RTO or Three-chamber RTO will be the most effective at removing odor compounds.
*Note: only direct-fired and recuperative oxidizers are effective at treating particulates.
Industries, Applications, & Case Studies
The Best Thermal Oxidizer Manufacturers
Do You Need A Budget Cost? Use our Budget Calculator.
Types of Thermal Oxidizers
Direct-Fired Thermal Oxidizer (DFTO)
- Gas Flare
- Vapor Combustor
Thermal Recuperative Oxidizer (TRO)
- Thermal Oxidizer with Heat Exchanger (HEX)
Do you need multiple Thermal Oxidizer quotes?
Use our free RFQ tool.
I like using IPE Advisor to send out RFQs because all the bids come back in the same format with the same cost breakdown. I don't have to spend 5 hours trying to equate bids. It's very easy to compare apples-to-apples.
Why use our RFQ tool?
We will tell you which 3-4 thermal oxidizer manufacturers are the best fit for your project based on: industry, application, size of unit, and what's most important to you -- whether it's price, reliability, footprint, weight, customer service, warranty, or many other factors.
Let us help you select suppliers for your RFQ.
We guarantee prompt quotes from suppliers and always the best price. At IPE Advisor, suppliers know they are bidding against 3-4 other quality competitors, so you'll always get the best prices the first time.
We give you cost benchmarks for your RFQ by comparing your RFQ to similar quotes we've facilitated in the past. We will send you pricing comps as soon as you submit the RFQ.
It's completely FREE for you. We charge suppliers a small fee for using our service. This helps suppliers keep equipment prices low because they don't have to pay a huge commission on your deal.
By going through IPE Advisor and not a Sales Rep, the supplier doesn't have to pay a 5% commission which can often be more than $50,000 in savings (if the price is over $1M). Use IPE Advisor today and save everyone money.
Use IPE Advisor to send out your RFQ today.
Do you need firm quotes? Use our free RFQ tool.
Is it too early for firm quotes?
Use our budget calculator tool instead:
The budget calculator is really helpful to get some ballpark figures, without having to deal with any sales people. It's also helpful to know that we have an accurate budget cost, so there's no surprises later.